Answer Writing and Test Series

The key to getting through the main examination is answer writing. Getting accustomed to it sure takes its own sweet time, but once you devise your own writing style, things start to fall in place. 

When and how to begin?

When? Whenever you have your foundational books covered at least once. The time with perfect preparation to write the perfect answers will never arrive. 

How to begin answer writing is the more pertinent question here. Honestly, with a plethora of online checking facility for answer evaluation, options for 'how to start answer writing' has proliferated enormously. I am a firm believer in self-analysis of answers over and above the other options. However, writing papers in a timed manner and getting them checked reassures you that you are heading in the right direction. 

I straightaway started writing answers after 1st round of reading from June 2021. I enrolled in GS Score Integrated Test Series which had a busy schedule of weekly tests. Here, timing of the answers was something that I did not fret about, as I could feel a gradual improvement in my speed in a couple of months (3 months for reducing my time for 10 markers from 10 minutes to 8 minutes). This also ensured a holistic coverage of topics, as sectional tests really ensured that syllabus is thoroughly covered. I followed the timetable of this test series till January 2022.

Finally after prelims, I enrolled in Vision IAS Test Series of 16 tests. I could write only 10 of these (4 sectional and 6 FLT). 16 days before mains, I wrote 2 tests in a single day to test my endurance and mentally prepare for the grueling mains examination. Most of these tests did exceed 3 hours by 5-10 minutes, barring the 3 tests which I could complete in time. Furthermore, I was able to complete all my papers in the actual exam well in time as the adrenaline rush really brought out my best possible performance.

I have shared my scores in these 10 tests and my final score for greater clarity. 

A couple of important points:

  • Importance of PYQs over mock tests: analysing PYQs and identifying repetitive themes will allow you to distribute your time in a wise manner.
  • Toppers' Copies as guiding light: these allow you to evolve your own style which can maximise your scores. Some toppers' copies which I looked at multiple number of times include: Jagrati Awasthi (AIR 2, 2020), Shruti Sharma (AIR 1, 2021), Aishwarya Verma (AIR 4, 2021), Mehak Jain (AIR 17, 2021).
  • Completing the papers is sine-qua-non for maximising your marks.
  • I think that people often go overboard with writing mock tests for mains. Analysing your performance, making corrections wherever necessary, and not repeating the same mistakes is much more helpful. For this, it is important to take the feedback of test series seriously, but again use your own intellect as well to figure out what else could you have done. Comparing your answers to solutions to mock tests often helps in this regard.
  • There is no quick fix to answer writing. One needs to go through the entire process oneself to figure out the way to nail this. Practice plus analysis can bring your dreams to fruition.
  • Directly hitting the demand of the question is far important than filling or beautifying the pages. After addressing what is asked directly, one can use the standard value addition methods of flow chart or diagram. 
  • Consolidated notes is a necessity for effective and exact presentation in exam hall. This also helps in revising moments before entering the exam hall.

Paper Attempting Strategy

  • GS I, II, III: I started with Q. 9 & 10 in first 15 minutes to get in the flow. I then completed 4 questions of 15 marks in the first hour. Next, the rest of the 6 questions of 15 marks in 55-60 minutes. And finally the first 8 questions in the final hour. There were at least 1-2 questions about which I did not have adequate knowledge, and hence these were written in the last 5-10 minutes.
  • GS IV: In all my mock tests I used to start with Q. 1 and go on till Q. 12. But after looking at the paper, I decided to attempt case studies first owing to the overly lengthy nature of the questions. I completed the 6 case studies in 1 hour 35 minutes, and the rest was used for the 13 ten marker questions. This was the most difficult paper to complete for me as writing this after Essay and GS I, II, III literally punctured the tip of my index finger. So adequate practice for this is recommended.

Comments

  1. Congratulations Vidushi.Thanking you for taking the time to share with us your preparation strategy with a timeline.It really helped clear a lot of ambiguities in my preparation.
    If it is possible , can you please share with us your consolidated notes for GS and optional and your Ethics answer copies.It would be of immense help for my Mains.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction and Brief Timeline of the Preparation

Paper-wise Answer Writing Strategy

Economics Optional Strategy